Live Casinos in Canada Explained
Live casinos are the perfect solution for players who don’t want to get dressed up and go to a brick-and-mortar establishment. While they essentially offer the same kinds of games you’ll find in physical casinos, live casino games come with a few differences which some might say makes them even better.
First off, you’ve got the added audio visuals. Live casino studios are decorated to fit the game’s theme – that includes both in the way it’s set up and the sound effects that go with it. Some live casino tables look like popular game shows, some have regular casino themes, and others have special effects.
Next, rather than playing a regular table game where it’s you against the random number generator (RNG), live casino games offer the possibility to play alongside other players in real time.
Another difference between casino games and live casino games is that the dealer controls the speed of the game. This is to make sure all players have enough time to place their bets.
The only downside to live casino games is that there is no physical interaction with other people. However, being able to do this through the chat makes up for that. While croupiers don’t interact with players at physical casinos, live casino dealers do. They answer questions and comments placed in the game’s chat and explain the game’s rules as it progresses. You can also use the chat to speak to the other players sitting at the same table.
Although most live casino games are available around the clock, some are only open during certain hours of the day. This is usually written on the game tile or underneath it.
The best part? Since most tables are compatible with any device, all you need to play at a live casino in Canada is a stable internet connection.
Here you’ll find the most common questions and answers regarding Canadian live casinos. If you still not find what you are looking for, feel free to contact us and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Yes, you can. All you need to do is sign up to an online casino in Canada which offers a selection of live casino games. Choose a game and start playing as soon as you make your first deposit.
No, they can’t. While you’ll be able to see the dealer, you cannot use your webcam. This means that no one will be able to see you. The dealer and the other live casino players will only see the nickname you choose in the chat.
Of course! What’s important is that you sign up to an online casino which is optimized to work on mobile. Most online casinos in Canada are compatible with desktop, tablet, and smartphone devices.
Unfortunately, no. What you can do is watch other players place bets and observe the game without staking any cash. However, you’ll need to be registered at an online casino in Canada to do so.
Yes, live casino games are safe to play if you’re playing at a reputable online casino in Canada. Make sure to check for licenses, customer support availability, payment options, and security features before signing up.
No. Most live casino games in Canada offer bet choices for every kind of player. If you prefer high stakes, you’ll find a range of VIP and Platinum live casino tables which cater specifically for high rollers.
This depends on the type of bonus you’ve claimed. Check the terms and conditions to see if you can use it on casino or live casino games. If you can use it on both, keep in mind that bets on live casino tables made using a casino bonus usually don’t count towards the wagering requirements.
Sure! You can use the chat function to ask the dealer questions, make comments, or interact with other players. The dealer will respond to you verbally during the game. Remember to use the chat ethically.
Table of Contents
- Live Casinos in Canada Explained
- How to Choose a Live Casino in Canada
- Types of Live Casino Games
- How to Play Live Casino Games
- Game Providers at Live Casinos in Canada
- Live Casino Bonuses in Canada
- Wagering Requirements
- Live Casino Tournaments
- Live Casino on Mobile
- Security at Live Casinos
- Responsible Gaming
- Tips for Live Casino Players
How to Choose a Live Casino in Canada
When it comes to choosing where to play live casino games in Canada, there are a few things to think about. We’ve listed some of the factors you should make sure are top quality once you’ve found an online gambling site which offers the live casino games you’re after:
- Promotions: Does the online casino offer bonuses dedicated to live casino games? Does the site run live casino tournaments?
- Payments: Are you comfortable with the payment methods offered? What are the minimum and maximum limits?
- Customer Support: Can you contact customer support at any time, or do they have specific working hours? How responsive are the agents?
- Inclusivity: Does the site accept players from Canada? Can you deposit using CAD or will you need to convert your cash? In the case of the latter, remember that you may incur exchange fees.
- Security: Is the online casino regulated by a reputable licensing body? Does it follow anti-money laundering legislation? Does the site use encryption technology to protect you?
- Responsible Gaming: Can you find information related to responsible gaming? Can you set loss limits?
- Reputation: What do others say about the casino?
If you’re happy with all the corners of your selected online casino, it’s time to sign up and start playing the games.
Not sure how to get started? The next sections go into the nitty gritty of live casinos in Canada.
Types of Live Casino Games
You’ll find a range of live casino games at online casinos in Canada. While these may not be as versatile as video slots, game providers are creative at giving the tables different themes. Some have even adapted regular casino tables into game shows to vary your gameplay.
Live casino games in Canada are designed to have a variety of stakes to suit everyone’s budget. If you’re a high roller, you’ll find dedicated VIP tables which offer a higher range of bet choices.
The following is a taster of what to expect at live casinos in Canada:
You’ll have all the bet types of a land-based casino when playing live roulette. You’ll find both the American and European variations of the game. You can place as many bets as you like. Some tables even offer automatic betting, so you won’t need to do anything. One of the benefits of live roulette is that you’ll get a top view of the wheel as it spins.
Live blackjack casino tables use random number generators to ensure game fairness. You’ll also get to watch the croupier shuffle and deal the cards, so you’ll still have the reliability of a physical blackjack table. The rules remain the same, but if you’re unsure of something, all you need to do is drop your question in the chat and the dealer will clear your doubt up in no time.
Baccarat at online casinos in Canada give you the same theatrical experience as you’d get at a brick-and-mortar establishment. The only difference here is that you won’t be able to see whether other players choose to bet on the Tie or the Banker, but since you’ll have your own strategy, it shouldn’t impact your gameplay.
You’ll find different versions of poker at live casinos in Canada. Whether Three Card Poker, Caribbean Stud Poker, or Texas Hold’em, you’ll still get the full experience when playing remotely. It’s important to understand the different rules each variation has before you start playing. You’ll find plenty of guides, some even within the games themselves. The biggest advantage here is that no one can see you, so calling one’s bluff is based solely on intuition.
Game Show Tables
Many software providers have taken live casino games to a whole new level by turning popular game shows into live casino games. Some of these are themed blackjack or roulette tables whereas others come with full on game show mechanics. This means you can play alongside other players in real time while feeling like you’re on the actual TV show.
How to Play Live Casino Games
Playing at live casinos in Canada is straightforward. The registration process is usually hassle-free. Most of the time, you’ll only need to fill in basic details like your username, password, and address.
We’ve broken down the process into steps for you:
- Sign up to the right online casino for you
- Choose a payment method available in Canada
- Make a deposit
- Claim your welcome bonus, if applicable
- Head to the live casino section of the online casino
- Choose your table
- Place your bets
You’ll probably need to verify your identity when it comes to your first withdrawal. This is a normal procedure which online casinos in Canada carry out to comply with the regulations put into place by licensing bodies and anti-money laundering legislation.
Game Providers at Live Casinos in Canada
The best live casinos in Canada are those that partner up with the best software providers. Since providers would need their own studios and additional staff, there are far less than there are for casino slots. Having said that, the ones that exist are fully dedicated to their tables. Each one offers a unique set of games with special features.
You’ll find at least one of the following game providers at your chosen live casino in Canada:
Evolution is by far the biggest game provider in the live casino industry so far. It launched in 2006 and has since built an incredible portfolio of over 100 live casino games including roulette, blackjack, poker, and game show themed games. Evolution Gaming acquired Ezugi in 2018, NetEnt, NetEnt Casino, and Red Tiger Gaming in 2020, and Digiwheel in 2021.
Playtech is well-known for its contributions to all corners of the gambling industry, whether brick-and-mortar, online video slots, or live casino games. It boasts a massive portfolio of interactive live dealer tables including roulette, game shows, blackjack, and more. Playtech uses augmented reality technology in their live games to give you a more authentic experience.
Pragmatic Play Live
Pragmatic Play Live offers a variety of live casino tables all streamed from state-of-the-art studios. Not unlike their video slot portfolio, the provider’s live casino selection is vast. You’ll find games like live baccarat, live roulette, live blackjack, game show tables and much more.
Live Casino Bonuses in Canada
While online gambling sites mostly offer bonuses on casino games like slots, you will find a few bonuses created specifically to be used in the live casino. We’ve listed the most common ones to give you an idea of what to look out for:
Some online casinos in Canada offer a choice between casino and live casino welcome bonuses. The live casino ones are usually match bonuses. Basically, you’ll get a percentage of your deposit added up to a certain amount. You’ll only be able to use this bonus on live casino tables. The same rule applies for completing the wagering requirements.
A free chip is a no deposit bonus some live casinos in Canada offer customers to attract new sign ups. You’ll receive an amount of bonus cash to try out the live tables with. Although all you’ll need to do to claim this is sign up, chances are the chip still comes with wagering requirements, so remember to check the terms and conditions.
You’ll find some online casinos in Canada offer reload bonuses to use in the live casino. These could be weekly, on weekends, or on special days of the year. These bonuses are often tied to a particular live casino game, so make sure to read the terms and conditions before depositing.
Cashback offers are common at live casinos in Canada. This is a weekly or monthly promotion that refunds a percentage of your losses made on the live casino tables (or in some cases, specific ones). Most online casinos don’t impose wagering requirements on cashbacks, but it’s always good to double check the terms and conditions. You may also need to opt in for these promotions.
Most online gambling sites in Canada offer VIP bonuses to their loyal player. If you prefer playing live casino games, the casino will offer you special promotions available to use in the live casino. These could be on particular tables, on games by selected providers, or on the table of your choice.
Wagering requirements are the number of times you need to play through your bonus before you’re able to withdraw it. Since the RTP of live casino games is generally higher than that of casino games, the wagering requirements for live casino bonuses are usually greater than those of casino bonuses.
There are two kinds of wagering requirements: deposit + bonus and bonus only. You can check which one yours falls under in the site’s terms and conditions.
Here’s an example of each based on the following bonus:
$20 deposit with a 100% up to $100 live casino bonus with 70x wagering requirement
- Deposit + Bonus: ($20 deposit + $20 bonus) x 70 = $2,800
- Bonus Only: ($20 bonus) x 70 = $1,400
In the first scenario, you’ll need to wager a total amount of $2,800 before being able to withdraw your bonus, and $1,400 in the second case.
In most cases, attempting to withdraw before completing the wagering requirements results in your forfeiting your bonus and any winnings you may have generated from it. This means you’ll only be able to withdraw the real money that’s in your casino wallet.
Live Casino Tournaments
If you’re the competitive type, you’ll be pleased to know that many online casinos in Canada host tournaments on live casino tables. These may be on selected tables or across a particular provider. While the mechanics depend on the promotion, many of them fall under the following categories:
- Points: Depending on the tournament’s mechanics, you’ll collect points for a specific action (like a real money bet or a win on specified roulette numbers) which will increase your place on the leaderboard. The players at the top by the end of the promotion period win.
- Tickets: You’ll be rewarded a ticket into a raffle or lottery for completing a task such as achieving a certain win when achieving blackjack or for staking a specified amount. The winning tickets will be drawn using a random generator once the tournament ends.
At the end of the promotion period, the winners will receive a prize which could be bonus funds, real money, or physical prizes like smartphones, holidays abroad, or other exciting gifts.
Live Casino on Mobile
Live casino game providers have kept the on-the-go player in mind, which is why the majority of live tables are available on desktop, tablet, and mobile, regardless of the operating system. The trick is finding a suitable mobile online casino. While most are compatible with all devices, some do not offer the possibility to play live casino games on smaller devices.
Having said that, some online casinos in Canada have dedicated mobile applications which you can download for free in the Google Play Store or the Apple Store. These offer a fully optimized experience with maximum compatibility.
Security at Live Casinos
One of the most important things to check before signing up to a live casino in Canada is the level of security the site offers. The first step is to make sure the online casino is licensed by a reputable regulatory body. Some of the most common include:
- Malta Gaming Authority (MGA): This is a sought-after license for overseas casinos and betting sites outside Canada.
- The Government of Curacao: This is one of the easiest gambling licensed to obtain. You’ll find it at many online casinos which operate within Canada as well as outside.
- United Kingdom Gambling Commission (UKGC): You’ll find this at online casinos which have the United Kingdom as an active market.
- Kahnawake Gaming Commission: This regulatory body mainly operates within Canada. However, it is not uncommon to find it at international online casinos.
Another thing to look out for is whether the online casino verifies its customers. Reputable sites put players through a Know Your Customer (KYC) process, where the submission of specified documents is required to verify customers’ identity.
Last but not least, check the level of encryption the site uses. The best online casinos in Canada opt for the latest SSL technology. This not only protects your personal information, but also your account and your activity.
Playing at a live casino in Canada should be a fun and entertaining experience. If you feel that your gambling is becoming problematic, there are a number of tools available to help you. These include:
- Limits and Reality Checks: You can set loss and win limits within your account. Some online casinos in Canada also allow you to set a time limit. Once you reach your set limits, you’ll be signed out of the casino. In some cases, you’ll receive a notification instead.
- Self-Assessment: Here, you’ll answer a set of questions which will help you understand if you have a gambling problem.
- Self-Exclusion: This closes your account for a predefined number of weeks, months, or years. Some online casinos may enforce this across all gambling sites.
- Account Closure: You can choose to permanently close your account through your profile or by contacting customer support. This action usually bans you from opening an account at any other online casino in Canada.
- Gambling Counselling Organisations: These are informative pages with tips and hints you can use to control your gambling. You’ll even be able to reach out to a counsellor if you feel you need it.
You’ll find this information in the online casino page’s footer, within the terms and conditions, or in the FAQs. If you’re still unsure of something, contact the site’s customer support team.
Tips for Live Casino Players
Now that you’re briefed on the ins and outs of playing at live casinos in Canada, we’ve listed a few tips to help you get you started:
- Keep a level head – Always play with a clear head. If you’re feeling emotional or not in the best of shapes, it’s better to avoid online gambling. If you don’t, you’re more likely to lose cash instead of creating strategies that will allow you to enjoy the games.
- Choose the right game for you – The choice of games may be overwhelming, so make sure to select a table which has the features you are looking for. You can do this by observing the games before deciding to stake real cash.
- Devise a strategy – Just like at a physical casino, it’s always a good idea to play with a strategy. Remember that no one can see you, which means it’s easy to find strategies online, write down winning numbers, and create and tweak strategies.
- Be polite and ethical – Being behind a screen does not send ethics out the window. You can interact with the croupiers and other players but remember to remain courteous. You’ll get kicked out if you’re not.
- Remember that you’re playing for fun – Online gambling is supposed to be fun, not problematic, and knowing when to stop is crucial. Take the necessary responsible gambling steps to keep your gameplay entertaining.
Following these basic steps will allow you to get the most out of your live casino gameplay.
Live casino games are growing in popularity among players in Canada. They offer an authentic casino experience and then some, and you don’t even need to leave the house. Play games like roulette, blackjack, and even game shows with only a simple internet connection.
You’ll interact with professional croupiers and other players through the chat. You can choose to observe the game or stack chips and stake real cash.
Collect points or tickets as you compete in live casino tournaments for prizes which could even be real cash.
Claim cashbacks, reload bonuses, free chips, and much more – the only thing you need to do is find the right online casino for you.
What are you waiting for? Get started at a live casino in Canada today!